Amazing Facts About Indian Railways
Railway Budget 2014-15 presented by the Minister of Railways Shri D. V. Sadananda Gowda in Parliament today.
The Railway Budget 2014-15 has proposed 58 new trains besides extending 11 existing trains. Provision has been made for 28 surveys for new lines and doubling or gauge conversion of lines. A lot of new promises have been and we wish the new minister all the best.
We look at some amazing facts about Indian Railways, courtesy facts-about-india.com.
- The total distance covered by the 14,300 trains on the Indian Railways everyday, equals three & half times the distance to moon
- The first train on Indian soil ran between Bombay and Thane on the 16th of April 1853
- Indian Railways has about 63,028 route kms. of track
- Indian Railways employs about 1.55 million people
- It carries over 13 million passengers & 1.3 million tones of freight everyday
- It runs about 14,300 trains daily
- Indian Railways has about 7,000 railway stations
- The longest platform in the world is at Kharagpur and is 2,733 ft. in length, eventually it will be Gorakhpur, 1,366.33 m (4,483 ft) (longest in the world and Asia).
- Nehru Setu on Sone River is the longest Railway bridge
- 42 Railway companies operated in the country before independence
- Electric Locomotives are manufactured at Chittaranjan Locomotive Works, Chittaranjan
- Coaches are manufactured at ICF/Chennai, RCF/Kapurthala and BEML/Bangaluru
- The national Rail Museum at New Delhi was set-up in 1977
- People Employed in Indian Railway are about 1.6 million
- Stations across State Lines are Navapur (Maharashtra and Gujarat) and Bhawani Mandi (Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan)
Pamban Bridge- Listed In The Top 10 Most Dangerous Railroads In The World